Thursday, October 27, 2011

Stratagery

The view was my reward this morning which is what you say when you don't get what you want. It wasn't in the cards on Hawk Hill, it'd been too long since my last ride and Nick at Nite left us all behind, not even waiting for a pull on the flats, but I had a chance on the Presidio Sprint.

It was a big fast group with seven or eight real sprinters in there. Nick at Nite jumped early, either generously leading everybody else out or hoping for a solo break for the brace, and everybody stood up early to catch him. I was hanging back in sixth, trying to stay on the wheel in front of me while making sure that wheel wasn't getting dropped, and it got a little panicky with guys of one and two breaking away.

I was feeling good where I was with just a dozen yards to first. Coming into the final two turns I jumped off that wheel and was headed for first, which was just what Roger Rabbit back in seventh was doing, though a few seconds delayed as he waited for me to pull out. He was off, flying by me like a boomerang, and only Alex had the legs to stay with him, but only as far as his wheel, which meant that I came across the line third, wondering why I didn't have the awareness to look behind me before I made my move and wondering what I could have done differently if I'd known.

No comments: