Friday, October 28, 2011

Boxed Lunches

Baxter, I got a little preview of what's to come when mom makes your lunch. Good things, my son. Very good things.

She took what was left over from last night, Boursin cheese, some fresh greens and the loafy French bread, and put it all together while I showered. She had just barely finished when I was dressed, which either means that I take Navy showers or she takes a long time preparing your sandwich, and I found that she had treated it with the same care as if it were her own, making sure to spread an appropriate amount of Boursin on each side and over all the surface so that each bite was a Goldilocks one.

I'm guessing she'll make you PB&J with the crusts cut off if you want that, but that you won't, and that you'll find brown bags full of lamb bits and quiona, pumpkin tamales and little bits of green and red grapes, probably with notes hidden inside, not so often they lose their meaning and not so infrequently that you think she's forgotten about them, but just the right amount of time.

No comments: