Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fruhstuck

Guess who's fully back in town after a bunch of days away? Baleen. It's easy to be sure when she's right there in front of me asking what time it is when she's got a watch on her wrist that she's still not used to because three months with one doesn't yet trump four years without one or when she plugs her nose before coming up the stairs guarding against phantom fragrances that only she can smell, but how I really really know she's back is when I'm awoken by strange noises coming from other rooms.

At 3am this morning I woke up to hear a hammering from the other room. My goodness, I thought. Baleen's back in town and so excited for Baxter that she's putting together the crib. (Nevermind that we don't have a crib, it's 3am.) Stop that, I said, you'll wake the neighbors. It was quiet for a second before the hammering continued. Baleen, stop. I was out of bed by this point and headed for the second bedroom when I saw her in the kitchen. Well you open it then, she said, handing me the jar of sauerkraut. I tried to open it for a second, still not fully awake, and a few unsuccessful exertions later, now almost fully awake, found a rag to hold the jar in place. Which is how I found myself talking to Baleen at 3 in the morning about Chicago as she ate sauerkraut.

Then, when we finally made it back to bed, and just when I was getting under the covers, she came in unannounced for a sauerkraut smelling hug and, in the dark, took a real chunk out of my ear with her fingernail. That's when I really really knew that Baleen was back in town.


No comments: