Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Just Another Tuesday

Well, Tuesday morning came and went and ended like a lot of others, me biking up Hawk Hill with my head down, following somebody for a bit, then leading others out until two passed me, me trying to respond but unable to, lacking either will or fitness or the right strategy, before finally arriving at the place where we all stopped and looked toward that Bridge that we can't see for having poked through the fog just a quarter mile before.

On the sprint, I had a real chance, the Hawk Hill champ gracefully winnowing the pack with a fast lead out, then falling away to leave a bunched sprint of four. Yet pending patenity did even more than marriage has, as a car in our way, combined with a semi-slick road from the season's first bit of rain, civilzed me, a man, and I dropped back, leaving the others to pass on the right into the last turn where the three of them, tired but whole, crossed the line a good ten seconds before I did.

My restraint means that I don't have a jersey, but also that I don't have skinned knees and elbows to hide from Baleen which would have meant the removal of my morning ritual, much the same way the Wood Duck forbade me from biking to Oakwood Elementary after I beat her home all those years ago with Margarine and Shrimp Jr in the back seat.


Look closer: Bridge just barely visible
 

No comments: