Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pizza Pizza

Baleen's got the best home kitchen pizza dough recipe in the English speaking world, created by somebody with strong ties to those indebted places. It takes forethought, which Baleen has plenty of, as you imagine today what you would like to eat tomorrow, and organization, which is where I come in. I'm the one who goes to the grocery store, and when Baleen's work won't stop calling her through the night, I'm the one who gets out the electric mixer with the dough hook and does the day before prep.

But having the best base doesn't mean you'll do right by the top. That takes restraint, which I think I have enough of, but also vision (cooked pancetta also helps). The vision thing is where I fell short. I had the right idea, don't overload, as I kept it to tomato sauce, mozzarella and green olives, but mine was swimming in tomato sauce. When I tried to slide it all onto the pizza stone, the sauce beat the dough off the peel.

Mother is the necessity of invention! Baleen could have cried, but didn't, as she rushed in with a metal spatula. She folded the back of the dough over its innards so that my once perfect pizza was sealed off like a perfect calzone, which, we found out, takes just a few minutes longer than a pizza to cook.


No comments: