Tuesday, December 27, 2011

6,371 feet

Shrimp Jr, Grizzly and I got out the garage sale skis and ran 4.2 miles on those long skinny things. It was my first time on the new course up by the Olympic ski jump, and I enjoyed it, but we'll really need some more snow to still be skiing there at the end of the week.

Doesn't look like I'll downhill this week, not with the thin cover and modest amount of terrain open at each of the mountains, which is just fine by me and also by Baleen with her swollen belly, but there is something missing in a ski town without any snow. It's like being in a fishing town where all the boats are docked.

It's all anybody talks about, the lack of snow. It's not so bad when it's you and another couple flown in from Dallas chatting over the shade grown coffee at Whole Foods, but when it's the guy in front of you at the gas station who's filling up the tank instead of giving private lessons on the mountain, that's where it's felt a good bit more.


No comments: