Friday, December 23, 2011

A Day's Labor

Baleen and I shredded sixteen pounds of cheese today, all in the name of that traditional Christmas favorite: mac and cheese. I'm hoping there will be some left over around noon tomorrow when I wake up. A hundred and fifty people are expected at Carole's house tonight, hopefully rotating through with no more than a hundred at a time, and I don't think I'll get to bed until well into Christmas Eve, better known as Grizzly's birthday.

He'll probably wake up early out there in Park City and wait down at the kitchen bar for Shrimp Jr to come downstairs and wish him Happy Birthday. Then he'll put on a modest amount of clothing in a great huff and cross-country ski out his backyard with Shrimp Jr in tow, perhaps with Wood Duck there also.

He'll lead the group of three for as long as he can, saying he's cutting the trail and doing extra work up front, but really hoping as many people as possible see him leading the way, until Shrimp Jr decides she's had enough and passes him by. They'll get back to the condo where Wood Duck might already be, waiting with something hot, and Grizzly will be the first to say something, probably something like, I'm improving, I got second, or, if I hadn't of cut that trail at the beginning I might have had you on the back stretch. All Shrimp Jr can do is just nod.


No comments: