Thursday, December 8, 2011

Foghorns

500 feet gets you through the wet, dark fog of a San Francisco morning to something like a clearing. If you're going that far, might as well keep on going to something like 805 feet and the top of Hawk Hill. And if you're headed to the top of Hawk Hill, might as well try and get there as quickly as you can, which today, was 7:50.

That's twenty-three seconds faster than Tuesday and just thirteen seconds behind my fastest ever time. Gloves and a heck of a push from Asprilla on the first half of the False Flats got me there, though he wasn't there at the end to yell at me like he did on Tuesday.

In the end, it was a double jersey day with a winning sprint through the Presidio, my first lead from beginning to finish. Packie Bonner's flat and the continual cold helped winnow the field and when we got to the start, instead of finding a wheel to hang on to, I found the front and just kept on going.


No comments: