Friday, December 9, 2011

MC

Margarine's gone all Mission Chinsese on us. Back when Baleen and I lived in the Mission, back before Bon Appetit and the New York Times had annointed Mission Chinese as the next best thing and way before Ferran Adria stopped by for a bite, Baleen and I used to pop in every now and then for the Ma Po Tofu and a cold beer.

If you didn't want Tsingtao, which I didn't, then the other choice was Bud, which was fine becausae we didn't need something that stood up to the food, just something to cool us down. But last night, when we took Margarine there during his 18 hour work visit to San Francisco, I ordered a Bud after Baleen had ordered far more things we could eat.

Oh, we've stopped serving Bud, the waitress said. She listed a number of microbrews, all of which I like, but just hadn't expected to have alongside Broccoli Beef Cheek. The next morning, as Margarine headed out in his Sebring convertible to interview an expert witness, and I hugged him goodbye, telling him, Later, as two brothers do, it was easy to see that he, too, looked a whole lot better in his nice suit, tie and shoes, than he did back when Baleen and I used to live in the Mission.


No comments: