Tuesday, December 6, 2011

35 Degrees

It was damn cold out there this morning. For those needing a little more that means it was somewhere between I can't feel my fingers and the digits are losing dexterity, but warm legs is what you need on Hawk Hill, not warm fingers. Full of hope, I took off after Christopher Robin at the gun, 3 yards behind him, and immediately 50 in front of the rest, but at the first turn 3 yards was too much to make up at the pace he was going and I fell behind.

As Christopher Robin pointed out afterward, that left the two of us tied with a King of the Mountain on the Hawk Hill Start, the 0.2 mile 12.2% grade that took us 1:03. But for me, as I couldn't keep up, that's like saying I had the fastest quarter mile in the one mile race yet dropped to eighth at the finish. There's no joy in that.

On the False Flats I was in no man's land so I stood up and waited for Asprilla and John Wooden and rode their wheels to the top where Asprilla, in his first ride since the birth of his second son 3 weeks ago, told me to "push until I puked." I didn't, but I did come across the line first in the Presidio Sprint, thanks to a nice lead out from Christopher Robin, making that 2 jersyes in as many months. Hot bananas.

No comments: