Tuesday, January 3, 2012

PR

Well, shiver me timbers. A week in high altitude with a shortage of snow, forcing me and the family to cross-country and snowshoe, appears to have done the trick, akin to some blood doping down here at sea level as the first climb up Hawk Hill in 2012 was my fastest ever on two wheels.

Christopher Robin and St Nick were off at the gun, as they always are, and it took most of what I had to make it over the Start with them and then all of what I had to make it through the False Flats on their wheel. The motivation always dips when I've given my all only to see the hummingbirds pedal away when I've still got a third of the hill left, but I dipped my head and just kept pedaling.

It wasn't fun and when I got to the top, thirty seconds after the hummingbirds, I had to step off the bike and lean on the top tube, my legs feeling as wooden as an oak, and only then did it feel worth it, even if I had to wait another hour to get home and confirm that it was my fastest ever. And to top it all off, I got the sprint jersey through the Presidio.

No comments: