Thursday, January 26, 2012

Der Wind

At 6.14, just past Sanchez and 14th, Christopher Robin told me that the wind was no good. That meant that he'd been up well before then getting a detailed weather report like a Gloucester fisherman, and that an assault on Hawk Hill would be futile, no matter our effort.

But at the Presidio Gates at 6.30, where the warm weather had encouraged a crowd, there was talk of hitching a train to get Christopher Robin to the top in 6.35, the fastest ever time. So when the hill pointed up, a group took off. If I'm going to get left behind, as I almost always do, I want it to happen when I've got nothing left. I followed, lasting just over a minute before running into a wall of wind. I knew it was a bad wind from what Christoher Robin had said, and knowing that made it hard to keep going.

I limped along for almost five minutes, pushing hard, but not hard like I should have, and only got going when Nick at Nite passed me a minute from the top. I came across in 8.09, my slowest time since October of last year, reflective of the wind, but also my effort, and once we got into the Presidio, Packie Bonner nipped me at the line in the sprint.


No comments: