Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Spice Tour

Baleen's grounded me. She got hint of a weather pattern somewhere on the West Coast and she's deflated my wheels. No commuting or Hawk Hill Raid during this most crucial period, she says, I need you safe. It's no use protesting that I don't take chances in the rain or reminding her of my wedding vows. After all, it's not the worry that something will happen; it's the worry about worrying that something will happen.

So we're spending a lot of time together, talking about schedules and well-behaved children, and digging through the archives of friends' baby announcements. We're also gone spicy. Very spicy. Come on out fkaBax we're saying without saying it. Not a meal has passed since the due date without a little heat. On Friday night it was Indian with W&C. Saturday morning was a simple brunch at Plow in Portrero Hill, but not so simple when your 'taters are covered in Youk's Hot Sauce, made by Tom Brady's brother-in-law's brother. Sunday was two types of chiles, serrano and jalapeno, and even last night's ragu, whipped up by Baleen, had red pepper flakes sprinkled on top.

Tonight it's gonna be ma po tofu from Mission Chinese. Baleen called this meal months ago over another night at Mission Chinese, and said, If I'm still north of a buck fifty a few days past my due date, then you have to take me to Mission Chinese. Never get in the way of a woman approching 41 weeks and her ma po tofu, so we're braving the rain for what we hope is our last meal on the outside. Anything's better than castor oil.


No comments: