Monday, November 28, 2011

Van Diemen's Land

I'm in Australia. Actually, I'm on my way there right now, somewhere over the Pacific, having not seen land since I left San Francisco. At least that's what I think. But then again, the San Francisco to Boston route doesn't follow a straight line, it arcs into Canada just above Lake Erie and then slants down toward Boston, so I might have seen some land.

Nonetheless, I'm in the Southern Hemisphere, my first time here, which means I've been in as many hemispheres as Baleen and in a few hours, as many continents. Hopefully I've slept a full night on the flight, a 14 hour one, but if not, then I'll have done some reading.

The pile I'd like to read is on the left, the pile on the right is what I should read. Already I'm falling way behind in conversation with Baleen throwing out terms like sleep cycle and EASY (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You) like she used to talk about neighborhoods in Oslo or the sauteed greens she had from Piccino. So I've got two from the right and one from the left. And a first phone call scheduled with Baleen at 4pm Tuesday in Sydney, which is just about Monday night bedtime in San Francisco.


No comments: