Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Margarine's Wedding Week Preview: Day 2

I was outclassed on the hill this morning and too late on the sprint. 1:10 into the 1:45 sprint I kept telling myself, patience, patience, patience, then when I made my move, it was too late. I had waited because patience was something I hadn't shown much of on earlier rides, and something I didn't need to show much of for my first fifteen years in any competitions against Margarine. 

I was, and always will be, seventeen months older. At the beginning, that meant I was a whole lot taller, faster, and stronger. Margarine, whose favorite book for a while was, [When I'm Six], I'll Fix Anthony, thought he'd catch up to me, if not in age, then those other things. So he kept swinging long after his cause was lost, then quit in a huff when it didn't turn out as he'd envisioned. 

Just after the summer of '84, when Carl Lewis and Mary Lou Retton got all those medals and the country was covered in red white and blue, every event between us became the Olympics. A race to the school bus, a sprint to the car out of the supermarket, first one to the bedroom after dinner; they all became a race for gold. Except by the end of 1984, becuase Margarine had quit our Olymipcs in a huff five times, before he was awarded gold he'd have to say, I'm playing, I'm playing, I'm playing, I'm playing, I'm playing, gold. A little patience and he would have had a few more gold medals.   


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was when he's five, not six, that he'll fix Anthony.

I do remember saying I'm playing I'm playing I'm playing I'm playing, gold. It got so long I had to start saying it as soon as the race started.

erb22 said...

hahahaha. Even I remember that. But by the 98 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Margarine took gold for his ice skating routine in the sun room. He didn't even have to say "i'm playing...." Remember that?

Baleen & Hopalong said...

triple axel, tight spins, the only thing missing was the outfit.