Thursday, November 3, 2011

Toast Masters

Our soccer team had our end of year banquet tonight to celebrate our enormous amount of ties and they gave me this shirt for being the tallest player on the team. There was a microphone and I was up there standing in front of everybody so I felt like I had to say something.

It's not like here at the computer where I get to delete misspellings or whole phrases, it's impromptu and I can't take anything back. Put on the spot, I feel like I did okay, but if I had it do over again, and with these last two hours to have intermittently thought of what to say, I think I would have added this intro, said what I said as the middle, and then followed with some sort of closer.

[Leaning on the lectern into the mic] Wow, it's great to be here in front of all these familiar faces. [Step back. Reach in my navy blue sport coat]. Wait, my brother's getting married in Austin next weekend and I'm going to be wearing this jacket, we're wearing sport coats and khakis, and this feels about like that might, everybody nicely dressed and looking at me, so do you mind if I practice my wedding speech? I've got it right here with me...


2 comments:

Matt Abbot said...

We should go to the US Open next year with the discounted tickets you'll get for being the tallest player on the Olympic Club team.

Baleen & Hopalong said...

I like it. Working on two tickets now. At least one in the back row as I can see over everybody else.