Friday, November 4, 2011

Chicken Curry

Baleen cooked up a chicken curry last night as Jimmy O told us that Sao Paulo has the world's worst traffic, at least of places he'd been. I listened and listened as he and Baleen talked about shopping in Igautemi, Jimmy O having walked down it, Baleen having studied it and its demographics for work, before I interrupted.

I would like to try my speech for my brother's wedding, I said. I had written it that afternoon in a flash and wanted to see both how long it was and get some first impressions. I read it, and got worried when they didn't laugh when I thought they would, and laughed at a part I hadn't expected. I've got some tinkering to do, which I'll do this weekend, but they both agreed that the one part should go. My icebreaker.

It would have been, I've been told that all wedding speeches must do one thing if they're to be a success: flatter the bride and groom while not offending anybody, least of all the two you're meant to flatter. But in Texas, I've been told the rules are a little different. It's still important to mind that first rule, but a truly successful speech mentions Texas as much as possible, and depending on the audience, the great University of Texas plenty, too. So here goes...



No comments: