Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Passport

I've got pockets that zip on my shirt and pant pockets that button. Baleen doesn't love the shirts and tells me I look too much like a German zoologist on assignment, yet the shirt's probably on my back right now.

In the summer of 2000 I was a day behind Walker and the group getting to Ios and Santorini. They wanted to see Crete, I wanted to see the Italian boot. Connectivity then isn't what it is now and the days were more elastic so there were a couple missed days of ferries back and forth between Ios and Santorini. On one of those days, my passport didn't get off a Santorini bus with me. At the depot a few hours later the man behind the desk just shook his head.

I emailed Walker, telling him I was without a passport, and that I was headed to Ios. He showed up the next day. So did my passport. You just need to speak a little Greek, he said. Baleen and I are with Walker and his wife again this year, and though he makes a good back up plan, if you want to find my passport, check the zipper on my shirt.

No comments: