Friday, September 9, 2011

Delta Nights

The first New Yorker article I ever read was on Ios, the summer after I'd graduated from college. I was aware of the New Yorker, first from the Prince of Tides, my favorite book from middle school until I was 25, when the Wingo sister in the South Carolina story gets a New Yorker subscribtion from her grandparents, but more recently from the city kids at college who read it in between classes and talked about it at lunch tables where I didn't sit.

It was a bit like sushi, something I'd heard about and even seen, but seemingly too urbane until I came across an issue that another visitor had left in the house at Klima. I forget what else was in there, and I'm guessing I liked the Comments section as little then as I do now, but I clearly remember the profile of Lucinda Williams.

I printed it out and sent it to my sister almost five years ago, along with two tickets to a show at Town Hall, when she lived in New York, and I made Baleen read it when she surprised me with two tickets to a local Lucinda Willams concert for my birthday three months into our relationship. It's been a heck of a relationship so far, Baleen and me of course, but also the New Yorker, especially for something that started on Ios. This time, I'm just hoping for a few good photographs.  


3 comments:

erb22 said...

My favorite concert ever. And one of many reasons you're (tied for) the best big brother ever.

erb22 said...

My favorite concert ever. And one of many reasons you're (tied for) the best big brother ever.

Baleen & Hopalong said...

Best ever sister!