Friday, August 3, 2012

Sergei

A rifle isn't a wife but you have to look after it and give it tender, loving care. Olympian Sergei Martynov of Belarus, gold medal winner in the 50m prone rifle competition.

I've learned a lot from London. Namely, that women's gymnastics is one of the most unbelievable, unenviable sports there is, that gamesmanship might get you kicked out of the Games in badminton, but not women's soccer or track cycling, and that watching the nightly NBC telecast is like having dinner at A16 on Chestnut, they keep you waiting and waiting until you swear you'll never come back, then the moment comes and it all feels worthwhile.

Then come Olympians like Sergei. Before today, I couldn't name one Olympian in any shooting event and I'm not sure I could point out Belaurs on the map. Two weeks from now I probably still won't be able to point out Belarus and I won't be able to name any Olympic shooters, but today I know who Sergei Martynov is and he has no idea who I am. Or Baleen or TDB.

No comments: