Monday, August 29, 2011

Kissing Ducks

Just came back from Shanghai where I spent most of my time in a conference room on the 32nd floor of an office building on Huaihai West.  The view from the conference room gave a nice overview of Shanghai with a pile of construction in one direction, some run down stucco apartment buildings with brightly lit signs for the knick knack stores on the bottom floor in another and, to the east, the gorgeous tree-lined streets and Haussmann-style mansions of the Luwan district (known in the tourists guides as the French Concession because the territory was handed over to the French in 1849 by the Duotai of Shanghai).  

My favorite part of China is the food, not just the roast duck and Shanghai dumplings (that are really from Wuhan), but the kind of stuff that I haven't seen in America.  I have a great reputation among my Chinese co-workers for eating absolutely anything they put my way and I take pride in it!  On previous trips that's meant congealed duck's blood, cow intestines, duck gizzard, pig's throat and live river eel.

This time my co-workers brought me to Sichuan Citizen which features delights from the Sichuan Province which is known for food so spicy that it leaves your tongue feeling like you have been "kissed by the beaks of 1,000 ducks" (the english translation).  Here's our lunch.


Frog in Spicy Broth (when I asked for bowls to share they all laughed and said don't drink the "soup")
Probably the spiciest thing I have ever eaten; a chile soaked white fish
Ma Po Tofu-  even better than Mission Chinese!
Chile Fried Green Beans-  seriously delicious.
Just a few of my co-workers with our spread.

xo,  Baleen

No comments: