Monday, April 2, 2012

Routine

I got seven and a half hours of sleep last night. I could have had more, Baleen and the Dragon Boss turned out the light in their bedroom at 9pm, and I probably should have, following the advice of our good doctor to sleep when he sleeps, but given the opportunity to do whatever I wanted for the first time in two weeks, as long as that whatever happened within the walls of our apartment, I chose to read for ninety minutes.

I felt a little guilty as the sole recipient of the ultimate new parent luxury: sleep. Baleen insisted I sleep on the day bed in Whit's room as today is my first day back at work and I agreed, but it still felt odd. Not quite like we were on the Titanic with only one seat left on the lifeboat and Baleen and looked at me with Whit in her arms and said, You take it; more like I was the child of hardworking peasants who scrimp and save and keep their son from working in the fields like they have so he can study, putting every extra penny away to pay for college and a better life.

I still felt guilty when I woke up at 6am laying in bed and answering emails for a bit until Baleen and Whit skipped into the room just before 7am, the best wake-up call a man could have.


3 comments:

erb22 said...

You look like Christmas and he like the best present Santa could provide!

Lizzie said...

Jeepers, this guys is freaking cute. I can't believe I'm going to meet him soon!!!!

Umm, is it socially acceptable to also ask (in this forum) where that gorgeous coffee table came from? I am really really digging it.

Baleen & Hopalong said...

Baleen says Wisteria. It sounds ilke a new Kristen Stewart movie, but it's not, it's a design brand apparently. See you guys soon. xo