Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Boys

It's three days since we've seen Baleen and two until we see her. We've been holding up well enough, filling our time with manly things like picking outfits not by whether they match, but by what's on top in the drawers and going on bike rides to the park and the Ferry Building.

That's life in my week as a single dad, which I didn't much think of, it's just a little more time with TDB instead of sharing that time with Baleen, until I woke up yesterday morning feeling fine. You see, the night before, I had had my second night of Barefoot Contessa's weeknight bolognese. That was the plan, cook up a sauce on Monday night that I could use most other nights this week, thus freeing my thoughts to feed, bathe and take care of TDB. But when I went to the fridge last night to find the left over bolognese, it wasn't there. I did what you normally do then, looked in each drawer and each part of the fridge three or four times, thinking it was in there somewhere when I knew that it wasn't. Then I checked the storage cabinet where we keep the glass containers. There it was, cream, tomatoes, herbs and sirloin exposed to 68 degrees for 24 hours. I was mad enough at myself to throw it on the burner and smell it once before gently tasting it, seeing if it was okay. All I was concerned about was the wasted effort and taste, not what would happen to me if I spent the night throwing up spoiled meat. That's something I have to, and should of, thought about as a single dad for a week.

What didn't pose any health risk was the pecan pie. TDB and I mixed up the corn syrup, the Texas pecans brought to Germany by Pumpkin, the sugar and the eggs, and baked it for 40 mins at 350. It'll still be there tonight after I put TDB to bed tonight, covered with a little foil and no need to be refrigerated, safe for any single dad to eat, maybe even to excess.  

No comments: