Monday, January 14, 2013

Sunrise

I snuck away on Sunday morning before Baleen and the sun were up for a little Hawk Hill. If I'm going to get out for a run or a ride, early is the only time that works. There's only one problem with that - not the early part, as you might expect, having The Dragon Boss around means that early isn't that early anymore -it's the San Francisco winter.

I know, it's not New England, it's not Minnesota, but still, Golden Gate Park was covered in frost. As my Los Angeles colleague would say on Monday morning, my pool froze. That's coastal California cold. I got a low of 30.2 degrees, while the Bridge was the typical 2-3 degrees warmer.

Over on the Marin side of the Bridge, I climbed down to sea level at Cavallo Point. This made the ride a little longer and the comparable easier. Because without Asprilla there to tell me to push until I puked or a wheel to follow, it's easy to ease up on the climb. Which I knew I did well before I downloaded the ride onto Strava back at home because when I got to the top, I had the tiniest bit of sweat starting, but I still couldn't feel my fingers.

No comments: