Friday, October 26, 2012

Anchor Sprints

I'm out of practice. I haven't been biking in a while, I haven't been drinking in a while, and I haven't had a whole lot of boxed pizza in a while either, surprisingly, perhaps, but our family of three has comprimised on the first two activities while excelling in the third with healthy, home-cooked meals. After all, home is where we normally are beginning around 6pm every day when The Dragon Boss returns.

And if I haven't done much of those three things, I certainly haven't done all three at once over the last seven months. But that's what Thursday night called for as Mission Cycling descended on Anchor Steam Brewery for a sprint-off. 32 entrants, single-elimination, 250 meters on side by side stationary bikes with your times projected on a big screen.

250 meters isn't very far and just under 12 seconds isn't that long to be going at your max speed. Doing it six times doesn't seem like that long either. I mean, that's barely a mile at 1.5 kilometers and about 70 seconds of effort. But when you're doing it at max gas on a belly full of Anchor Steam Liberty Ale and Goat Hill pizza, it feels a whole lot longer than that. The only thing that helps is coming in second and bringing home a gift card to Locanda. Goodnight, TDB; hello date night, Baleen.