Monday, September 24, 2012

2074

I know what it'll feel like to be a 96 year old great-grandfather. After 120 minutes of soccer on Sunday afternoon, and 22 penalty kicks, we lost to El Farolito in the city championships. When I got down on the floor to look The Dragon Boss in the eye, I wasn't sure I'd be able to get back up.

I think I've got one more year of 11 a-side soccer at this level in me. When I walk around the office on Monday morning after chasing around 23 year olds the day before, I look like a spindly fawn just finding his legs. Papa says that by the end of his career in the German-American soccer league, which didn't happen until he passed 40, Grandma B used to say that Grandpa B took until Thursday to feel normal again. I think I'll call it quits before then.

But I do want TDB to see me play soccer sometime. Vanity, perhaps, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Papa playing a championship men's game in Tacoma when I was about five or six. I'm sure I was much more interested in the other kids there than watching the game on the field, but I do remember an injured Papa hobbling around until he won a penalty which he limped up to take and sent the keeper the wrong way before just barely getting enough strength in it to have it trickle over the line. Either that or he's told me about it enough times that I feel like I must have seen it.

No comments: