Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Conditions were ripe for a scalp on Hawk Hill. Christopher Robin and Merlin's Beard were in bed, St Nick had spent the hour before doing repeats up the Hill, the Big Kenyan was there to do the work, and Baleen had left a Valentine's note in my bike shoe. All I had to do, once I left B.K., was beat John Wooden. Which I did for 1.69 miles of Hawk Hill, just not 1.70. The Wizard of Westwood nipped me at the line, my 7.32 good enough for my second fastest time, but not good enough for a jersey.

My Strava map shows a new route on the way home. The annotated version would have a pin above Courtney's on Castro and 14th, the most sensical place to get tulips on February 14th, and Tartine, the best place to get breakfast on that same day (as long as you arrive before 8am). It was a Valentine's breakfast buffet of croissants: ham and cheese, chocolate, and plain ol' plain.

Tonight it was Baleen's turn. That might seem odd on the surface, Baleen preparing a Valentine's dinner for me and Abigail's mom after a day spent in the aisles at Target for some tp, toothpaste and detergent, along with a visit to the dealership to get the bumper fixed, but only if you don't think about it. After all, Baleen makes almost as much as I do, and more than I did at her age. If you're going to invert that tradition, might as well go all the way.

No comments: