Monday, March 11, 2013

Single Dad Observations

Change takes time. Just ask a California gay couple or female executives. Sheryl Sandberg says three decades after women became 50% of college graduates it's a shame they're only 16% of Board members on Fortune 500 companies while two weeks as a single dad showed it's not just Fortune 500 companies that haven't changed.

Two comments stand out. The first was from a Walgreen's clerk who told me sometime last week when I checked out with one item, Johnson & Johnson No Tears soap, Do not leave this on your desk. Hmm, I laughed, but not sure what he meant? Does it look like alcohol, I asked? No, I'm pretty sure you were told, DO NOT FORGET THE BABY SOAP.

The second was from our French office manager, who when she learned that Baleen was gone for two straights weeks said, Now you know what it's like to be a working mom. Yes, I thought, it's a lot like what I do each day, which is a lot like what Baleen does each day. We're a team. 

No comments: