Monday, February 11, 2013

The Hawaiian Paradox

Thanks to The Big Hawaiian (TbH), Baleen and I have 3,000 wonderful, incredible, gorgeous photos of our family of three from the highest point in San Francisco.  Yes, 3,000. In town for a few days, we invited TbH over for dinner. He asked if he could swing by early for some family photos at twilight. 

We rushed to the top of Twin Peaks, Baleen's first time there, and TbH did what I've seen him do dozens of times before, which is weasel the dozen other people up there out of the way to get the best shots, except this time, I gladly followed his lead. Thinking about it afterwards, as TbH washed and cleaned the pot I cooked the pork in while I dished it out, I decided that TbH lives his life like Germans in line for the ski lift, which is, Don't wait for anybody else and don't apologize, just go for what you want and assume everybody else will, too. 

I still don't think I'd trust The Dragon Boss for a day in The Big Hawaiian's care, which might sound harsh, but what I mean is that TbH has no consideration for his own health - this is the photographer who had blurry vision for a few years in one eye because he had a street doctor perform surgery on his eye in Bangkok after getting swiped in a rooftop water polo match - so it's a leap to think he'd treat somebody else differently, but if TDB ever shows an interest in surfing photography, one in a million entrepreneurism, or, just generally living a little closer to the edge than I can show him, I'll put him on a plane to Hawaii with a thousand bucks in his pocket, a few six-packs to hand out to whomever they offend, and a laminated list in his pocket that starts, Under NO circumstances will you...which, we all know is useless as the thing I'm trying to protect TDB from with TbH is something I can't possibly imagine. And neither can you. 
The Dragon Boss spies The Big Hawaiian for the first time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost you're working with? I've loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this
blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good
web hosting provider at a honest price? Kudos, I appreciate it!


my web blog ... online brokerage accounts